Bizarre Desert Festival of Jaisalmer
If you think that Rajasthan is all about Grand palaces, Forts and mesmerizing landscapes, think twice because you are missing on something EPIC, known as the “Jaisalmer Desert Festival”. This festival is an electrifying exhibition of Rajasthani culture and traditions. From cultural events, camel races, turban tying competitions to traditional Rajasthani dance and folk music performances, the Desert Festival of Rajasthan is truly a unique experience. Initiated to promote tourism in the city, Jaisalmer Desert Festival certainly is a treat to the visitors’ eyes and soul.
The festival is a 3-day event and celebrated every year in the month of January/February, which is also considered as the best time to visit Jaisalmer. This three-day long extravaganza of dance, music, handicraft fairs and interesting competitions like ‘Mr Desert’, ‘turban-tying’ contest and ‘best moustache’ contest and many more, the Jaisalmer Desert Festival is organized by the Rajasthan Tourism Development Corporation.
Some Interesting Facts About Desert Festival
- The Camel Dance– It is one of its kind events which you would rarely get to see in any other part of the World. In this even, well trained and beautifully decorated camels dance to the tunes to Rajasthani folk music.
- The Moustache and Turban Competition– The turban and moustaches are considered as a symbol of Honor amongst the Men of Rajasthan. In this even people showcase their splendidly tied, colorful turbans along with heavy and well organized moustaches of themselves.
Things to Consider
- Do not indulge in any sort of Drug-related activity in the Jaisalmer desert festival or around. It is a punishable offence.
- Don’t be fooled by the local frauds, exchange your money at authorized exchange counters and hire Government certified tourist guides only.
How to Reach
- The Jaisalmer Airport is well connected with flights from all the major cities of India. The Jaisalmer Desert festival’s venue is mere 42 Kms away from the city, which you can easily access via hiring a privatetaxi or regular public buses.
- The city of Jaisalmer is also well connected via trains. Jaisalmer has its own railway station and you can easily get trains to Jaisalmer from almost everywhere in India.
- Frequent public buses to Jaisalmer are also available from all its neighboring cities.
Check out some photos of Jaisalmer – “The Golden City ” as pictures speaks more than words.