Kumbhalgarh was built by Rana Kumbha who was the descendent of Sisodia dynasty. It was built in the 15th century but the work of its enlargement continue till the 19th century. When Chittor was under siege, Kumbhalgarh was the place where prince Udai was smuggled in 1535. Kumbhalgarh is also the birthplace of Maharana Pratap, the great king, and warrior of Mewar.
According to popular folklore, Maharana Kumbha used to burn massive lamps that consumed fifty kilograms of ghee and a hundred kilograms of cotton to provide light for the farmers who worked during the nights in the valley. Occupied until the late 19th century, the fort is now open to the public and is spectacularly lit for a few minutes each evening.