Keoladeo National Park - A World Heritage Site
Rich of natural flora and fauna, spread in over 29Km2 of area, the Keoladeo National Park (formerly known as the Bharatpur Bird Sanctuary) is a prime attraction for the wildlife and migratory birds and is a World Heritage Site. The Keoladeo national park consists of grasslands, wetlands, woodlands any many other diverse habitats which are home to more than 300 species of birds and floras each, also home to around 50 species of fishes, 13 species of snakes, 7 species of turtles and many more wild animals. The Keoladeo Ghana National Park is a man made and managed wetland area and amongst the best bird areas of the world.
Interesting Facts of Keoladeo National Park
- The Keoladeo Park was a being a hunting ground in the times of Maharajas used to be host to a number of Duck shoots organized here by the Maharajas for the British dignitaries. In 1938, then Governor General of India, Lord Linlithgow killed over 4000 birds in one shoot.
- The Keoladeo National Park is the only National park in India that is completely covered with a 2 Meter high wall boundary that denies possibilities of any biotic disturbances or any Buffer Zone.
Things to Consider When Planning to Visit Keoladeo Ghana National Park
- Do carry a binocular for watching the birds, as its very tough to focus with naked eyes, on the distant birds in the park.
- Your personal vehicle will be allowed inside the park but is permitted up to Shanti Kutir only (about 1.7 kilometers inside the gate, at Rs100 per vehicle). After this you can opt to walk, bicycle, or go by cycle rickshaw. Tonga or boats are also available at places where the water level is high.
How to Reach Keoladeo National Park in Bharatpur, Rajasthan
The Keoladeo National Park lies in Bharatpur District of Rajasthan, which can be easily reached through following means:
- Via Bus, as the Bharatpur District lies just besides the National Highway-11 and is easily accessible from Delhi.
- Many trains from N Delhi (N Delhi – Mumbai and Agra – Jaipur route) stop at Bharatpur.
- The nearby airports are Delhi and Agra. Agra is just 54 Kms away from Bharatpur and you can easily find a taxi from Agra airport to Bharatpur.
Keoladeo National Park Entry Fees: The ticket is Rs 200 per foreign visitors and Rs 75 for Indian visitors. Vehicles are not permitted inside the park, but you need to park them in the designated parking area for Rs 50 for a four-wheel vehicle.There is no charge for taking a digital camera inside the park. The charge for a video camera is Rs 450.
Accommodation : There are only two accommodation facility inside the park at Ashoka Forest Lodge and Shanti Kutir.
What is the present rate for entry fee, carrying Digital SLR, Video camera and hiring of by-cycle?