Office of the Chief Electoral Officer primarily maintains a correct voter list of every assembly of the state. The office of the Chief Electoral Officer functions under the overall supervision and control of the Election Commission of India. It has officers on booth level and assembly level to work for the department.
Booth Level Officer
Each polling station is looked by Booth Level Officer (BLO). The BLOs are appointed from amongst the officers of the Govt. /Semi Govt. /Local Bodies. Generally, one BLO is responsible for one part of the electoral roll. The BLO will make a thorough study of the roll of the part assigned to him. He will make frequent field visits to the villages/Tolas in the said part and interact with local people particularly village elders and grass root level elected representatives and identify the names of the dead/shifted/duplicate voters in the roll, which need to be removed by the ERO under relevant provisions of law.
Booth Level Officer (BLO) Fuctions
- Receiving claims and objections.
- House to house visit and checking of overlapping, migration,transfer/shifting.
- Identification of shifted/ dead/ non-existing electors.
- Checking inclusion and exclusion errors.
- Checking details of spellings, entries of duplicate names, part header page, photos etc. of electors in the roll.
- Collecting photos of electors.
- Submitting reports to ERO so that notice can be issued to the persons whose names have to be deleted.
- Display of draft roll/prescribed notices at designated locations.
- EPIC distribution (after preparation) to the right person and not to any other intermediary.
- Maximization of EPIC coverage and enrolment.
- Correct Serialization of the houses and correct arrangement of sections falling within the part.
- Coordination with Booth Level Agents (BLAs).
- Detailing of Forms received.
- Impart simple voter education at registration time.
- Distribution of voters slip before election.
- Preparation of Nazri Naksha with an ordinary geographical demarcation to avoid overlapping specially in respect of newly developed colonies.
Electoral Registration Officer
Each Assembly Constituency in the State is looked by an Electoral Registration Officer (ERO), who shall be such officer of Government or of a local authority, Normally, the civil service/revenue officials of Tehsildar level or officers of equivalent status are appointed as the Electoral Registration Officers for the Assembly Constituencies within their respective jurisdiction as far as practicable.
Electoral Registration Officer (ERO) Functions
An Electoral Registration Officer is primarily responsible for the preparation, maintenance and revision of roll for your constituency.
- Procurement of different types of Forms and stationary in sufficient quantities.
- Maintenance of the lists of received forms 6, 7, 8, and 8A in Form 9, 10, 11 and 11A in duplicate.
- Enquire into or getting inquired into the claims and objections.
- Issuing notices of hearing in case of claims and objections where required.
- Review and monitor closely the quality of work of the AEROS, Supervisors, Dos and BLOs.
- Inclusion of names inadvertently omitted and deletion of names wrongly included.
- Publication of the final roll after incorporating the decisions and correcting clerical and printing errors or other inaccuracies.
- Analyze electoral roll data in prescribed formats.
Office of the Chief Electoral Officer
Phone : 2227411, 2227222 (Ext. 2395)
Fax : 2227200
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com